Custody and Recognition

Are you married, and do you have minor children? Then you share parental custody of your children. You then have the right and duty to educate, care for and make important decisions for your children. You are free to decide how you do that, as long as it is in the best interests of your child. After the divorce, both parents in principle retain joint parental custody. Do you, as parents, disagree on the way in which the two of you exercise parental authority? Or is it time for other agreements, because the children have grown older, there are different circumstances or there is a blended family? Then we can guide you in making new suitable agreements and, if necessary, also talk to the children. We also have a network of specialists, such as collaborative coaches, system therapists and childcare professionals who can provide advice if necessary.


Do you, as parents, really disagree? Then you can submit this to the court. The court will hear both parents, and depending on the age, also the minor child. Then the court decides on the dispute.

Joint custody

Are you not married, but you have children? Then only the mother has legal custody. If the father and mother nevertheless wish to exercise joint custody, you can report this to the clerk of the court. If the mother does not give permission for joint custody, the father can request replacement permission from the court. Depending on the best interests of the child, the court may grant this request.


If you decide to break up, both parents retain parental custody. Only exceptionally does the judge waive joint custody and entrust one of the parents with custody. This can be done at the request of one of the parents and only if the court considers it in the best interests of the child. Such a request to the court requires very good justification.